Sunday 21 October 2018

Back to work!

Hello and welcome to Inso's World again.

It's a gloriously sunny day and I've been removing the remains of the fence in the garden. It was a victim of the recent storm and needed to be removed after some of it was blown down... that led to removing a 'seat' made of cement blocks and some slabs; which were obviously built by someone who never played with Lego as a child... I'll leave the sweep-up for another day.

Anyway, I digress.

This week has been one of training and pottering about. It is just like being back in the RAF... sitting through induction training. Mind you, I am getting to learn and use the new equipment that is required for my new job so it is most certainly worth while and is fairly enjoyable.

This coming week, I have more training and some proper work shifts... obviously with maximum supervision but at least I will be able to start working properly, rather than being limited to what I can do.

As a result of some of the more 'interesting' challenges I am expecting to face, I am also required to take a course on conflict deescalation. That will be at the beginning of November and that will mark the end of my induction training. I have already seen the training being used in my care home so it is definitely something that I will need.

In other news, I was informed that I had a parcel on the way from the USA, via email from the US postal service. I didn't recognise the sender and spent a good deal of time tracking them down... luckily, the parcel was cool... one of these, as it happens:


Click the Pic!

It's an Aliens APC with a Ripley figure to go with it. It is pretty big and will find a use somewhere in my collection. On a different note, this highlights how using nicknames instead of real names, gives people a certain amount of anonymity... I ended up spending a lot of time, searching the forums to see who I'd sent things to, in order to find the identity of who had sent the parcel... just so I could thank them. That's why I always put my forum name (Inso) in my signature, when I am dealing with other people in my hobby.

Other hobby news is not going to happen. I haven't received my parcel from Hasslefree Miniatures yet, I haven't ordered anything else from anywhere else... but... hang on... there is that Kickstarter that has just funded... and I pledged on... this one:


As it stands, my pledge will get me 48 troops, a separate champion and a separate champion riding a horse. I think that I will be able to build a good sized platoon of troops with support and command elements but I will be turning them sci-fi... so I have arms, heads and weapons to think about... but not yet because they aren't due to arrive until May next year.

I have also received a box of random kits and miniatures from a friend who will be sending a few more as well. The idea is that I can sort them out, sell them on and give the profits to charity... so I am hoping that I can get some tidy profit from these very generous gifts. More will come to light, once I get my teeth into the contents.

Unfortunately, I have lots of chores this weekend so I can't see myself getting much hobby time (my wife is poorly so I am picking up the reins)... and I reckon that, with everything going on this week, I will be too knackered for much hobby so until I start getting back into the swing of working again, I can't really see very many hobby related items turning up here...

... but in the words of "The Secret of Mana"... "Time, like a river, flows"... so who knows what may happen over the next few months?

That's it for today.

See you from the university of life!

No comments: