Sunday, 13 August 2017

A week in the life of...

Hello again and welcome to Inso's World.

This week has been one of travelling, hospitals and missed opportunities.

Monday I do chores for me and a friend who has a few health issues.

Tuesday, I travelled up to Somerset so that I could take my Dad for his first set of chemotherapy for his terminal cancer. Dad chose the chemotherapy option to give him a few extra weeks/months so I got to his place in time to have some lunch, travel over to the hospital in time for a coffee before heading to the ward to start the treatment. Luckily, I decided to buy a lightweight wheelchair because it REALLY helped with the journey from the car, through the hospital to the ward.

The first round of treatment went relatively smoothly but took a little longer than expected (due to a possible reaction to the drugs). A few extra drugs helped things along and we made it home OK. I stayed overnight to make sure things were OK and travelled back home on the Wednesday. So far, apart from a little nausea and a lot of tiredness, Dad has been OK. His breathing has even been a little better so it seems to be going OK. The second round is this week so I am hoping it goes a little smoother again as we get used to the process.

Thursday, I was a bit of a zombie. Friday, I was kept hanging around to find out when I was taking my daughter's boyfriend to the railway station so I couldn't really get much done. I did, however get a small amount of (secret) sculpting in.

Yesterday was a slow day but we managed to get some cinema time in. We went to see 'Valerian and the city of a thousand planets' which was a good film but sadly confirmed what the critics have been saying... "no chemistry between the leading characters, shallow plot but a wonderful spectacle of special effects". It was good... but not awesome. Worth going to see though.

Tomorrow is another week of much the same. Chores, chemo and hopefully, an opportunity to get something moving on the 'Inso's Diminutive Emporium' front. At least I now have all of the components to get things moving (boxes, labels, bases, bubble wrap, light-box for photos... ). Hopefully, I will get the time, alertness and inclination to get things started.

Seeing as this has been a bit of a slow update, here is a picture:

So much to do... so little time.

See you from the queue!


Mr Teufel said...

Mate. Sounds like a really hard week, and the hard part isn't over yet.

Inso said...

It is what it is.

I always say that it isn't the barriers placed in front of us that make us who we are; it's how we deal with those barriers.

I know I have some tough times to share with my Dad but I know that we will make the best of them.

I've already lined up a visit from a 'specialist animal' keeper so that Dad can get to handle a tarantula or two... something he wants to do before his bucket (list) gets kicked. There are other things but it all depends on how the treatment goes/how well he copes.

Onwards and upwards.