Friday 14 December 2012

A Friday post

I know it is unusual for me to post on a Friday but I thought I'd change the pace and share a few things tonight so I am sitting with a glass of port in hand typing this little post.

First of all, I'd like to welcome a new follower... I think it is adamcore but I am not sure so I hope that whoever the new follower is accepts my fond welcome. Please enjoy your stay and feel free to share ideas and thoughts through the comments box.

So today has been a day of mixed emotions.

First of all, a friend at work is leaving and I saw the last of him today... which made me sad. He is going to work somewhere else and I may get to see him in the future but it won't be like sharing banter in the office... that is service life for you.

Next I watched the final fly past of the Puma HC Mk1 helicopter today. It was a broken formation of four aircraft that overflew the airfield, landed and shut-down in unison; thus ending 41 years of illustrious service. It was a sad occasion but there is light at the end of the tunnel because the Puma HC Mk2 is now in the process of being brought into service. Hopefully it will see the successes that it's brother did.

After that, I left work to start my three week Christmas holiday. Thanks to the government for giving me an extra five days for free but I am still on call so I haven't fully escaped.

Finally, I have decided to build a diorama in seven days for the Unofficial Diorama of Doom 2012. See here for the LINK. My aim was to motivate a fellow FoDer but it seems to have fallen flat... so I'm doing it just for the hell of it now. I plan to start on Sunday morning from scratch so it could be an interesting week.

In other news, I have had my pre-Christmas tidy up... and my wife hasn't noticed. On the plus side, I now know where everything is but I would have liked her to notice... oh well.

The Mantic Forgefathers have grabbed me. That means that I have gone to the lengths of ordering a few bits and bobs; namely:

  • THESE for converting
  • THESE for more troops with a few extra options to help with conversions
  • THIS for some heavy support
  • THESE for some close combat action
I already have some of THESE and also THESE for converting so I have quite a selection of Forgefathers to command... obviously, I now need to get them all converted and painted but that shouldn't be too hard, should it?

As well as all the Mantic stuff going on, I have kept my Clanker unit on the table for the conversion and assembly process that was always going to be my Christmas project. I also have my two remaining superheroes to paint and a Thor to sculpt... plus the Diorama of Doom entry. 

That's plenty to keep me busy!

Please join me on Sunday as I post up some images of the start and progression of the diorama. I will need all of the help I can get.

See you from the tip of the iceberg!



2 comments:

Lasgunpacker said...

three weeks! Blimy.

And I am very interested in what you think about the Mantic figures, from various online pictures, they seem sort of... soft.

Inso said...

They are what they are. They do not have the sharp details of some manufacturers but they do have details that are clear enough to paint. I don't like the plastic resin so much because they really do have soft details... but the plastic ones are fine. The only plastic resin thing I have ordered is the 'dreadnought' and that is big enough to carry the lack of details without too much worry. I haven't a clue about the Dreadball geezers but I'll soon be able to share the details when they arrive. The rest are either metal or plastic :). All I can really say is that they paint up OK and that is what matters... especially because they are cheap and cheerful :)