Sunday 30 April 2017

Another bank holiday weekend.

Hello and welcome to Inso's World again.

There has been quite a bit going on this week so let's get started.

First up, to repeat my previous announcement, I am doing a charity hair and beard shaving event this coming Friday so please, if you can spare a donation, I would appreciate it. All you need to do is click on the link below and follow the instructions to make a donation... every little counts and the charity is one that helps everyone who is touched by the spectre of terminal illness of all kinds:


In appreciation, here's a big smile:


Click the Pic!

So... I have had quite a hobby week... starting with a bit of painting! Yes... PAINTING! I have finally dug my paints out and, although I don't have a proper painting area, have managed to put a very basic layer of paint on one of my Hasslefree Miniature gifts... so work has started and although I really want to show things off... you won't see it until I have finished it because I am very mean (and it is an amazing little miniature that is too cool to show WIP shots of).

In addition to the painting, I have been continuing with my Halfling sniper sculpts and have got this far... two finished and one WIP:


Click the Pic!

I'll not say anything about anything else in the picture apart from, 'tiny distractions'.

Speaking of distractions, I finally buckled and bought some of the new Kharadron Overlord miniatures from Games Workshop. I decided that I needed to see what they were like, for myself so that I could come to the right decision about them. I bought the most basic troops of the lot; the Arkanauts. Here's the link to the box I bought:


It is the first time I have visited a Warhammer store for a very long time and I was treated very well. The guy who took my payment was in the process of painting some of the Arkanauts and was doing a very nice job of it. 

Anyway, I have taken a lot of comparison pictures so here they are:









Click the Pix!

From what I can see, the Kharadron kit doesn't match well with my old plastic Squats so will not be included in my army at all. That said, I think the Kharadrons are nicely made and with a few minor modifications, would make a great alternative faction. I think that changing the weapons to sci-fi ones, putting larger heads on them and removing the steampunk bits is all it would take... but that is just my opinion and I know that there are many people out there who will be using them as Squats; straight from the box.

In other news... I got my veteran badge this week. Truly, it is the end of an era for me:


Click the Pic!

Tonight may well be a karaoke night... and why not?

See you from the stage!

6 comments:

Sebastian said...

This is a great series of comparisons, and you know what, I still prefer those classic squats - really clean and unfussy design. Always admired your careful work modifiying the originals.

Inso said...

I'm with you. I like the old Squat miniatures and although the detail on the plastics is a little dated, they still exude character.

The Kharadron are OK but I have no enthusiasm for them. I am hoping that, at some point, I will have a brainwave and decide what to do with them... until then, they will remain tucked up in their box :)

Lasgunpacker said...

I think they could easily work as "space dwarves"... just not as squats. They are too tall, and lack too many of the classic design elements (that helmet!)

Maybe pop an alien head on them, cadian arms, and call them allies?

Inso said...

I have been thinking about alternative heads... and the alien side has also been thought about too...

I have decided on what weapons they will get... but that is as far as it has got... I am in no rush to embark on a new project... the only reason I bought them was to see what they were like. That was all.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the size comparison. I think I'll have a use for them. The arms look about the right size for squats at least. Handy given how hard the original plastic arms are to get these days.

Inso said...

No worries.

The arms are probably better fitted to the slightly taller, metal Squats but at a push, they would look OK on the plastic ones (although I would still be tempted to shorten them very slightly... but that's just me.

Sadly, the original plastic arms are just so bloody expensive. I am sure there are plenty around (I have 19 sprues of them, plus a lot of spares off the sprue... so there must be other people who are 'sitting' on them too) but I guess it is all down to being able to afford them at the amount you need for your army. With sculpting my own, I have bypassed the problem but I can relate to the issue (for me it was the old style lasguns in the required quantity).