Monday 24 February 2014

More Votoms thinking...

I was wondering just how to go about chopping down the Votoms kits so I managed to find a nice full frontal picture on line so that I could chop it about. Here is what I came up with:


Click the Pic!

All I did was remove a small portion from the arms and legs (as the picture mentions) and I think it has improved the look of the Scopedog immensely. I still think that I need to adjust the shoulders so that they are a bit more robust... and possibly widen the torso a small amount. I may also need to flatten the tummy a bit due to the shorter arms... that way, he'll be able to hold his rifle properly. I am just milling everything over at the moment so everything is transient.

I have tried this sort of thing with a diecast version of a 1/60 Scopedog before but the model wasn't the most friendly of things to chop up... so it didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped:



Click the Pix!

The main areas that were disappointing were the feet and the abdomen area... but when sawing through diecast metal with a hacksaw, it sort of deadens your enthusiasm for perfection.

As you may already be aware, I am quite a fan of Votoms and already have a small selection of the larger, 1/35 scale versions in my Tunnel Fighter army:


Click the pic!

If you asked me why I like these particular mechs, I wouldn't be able to give you a good answer but I think it is the mix of them skating about, being quite clunky looking and also quite vulnerable (they get blown apart all the time in the cartoons)... I just like them.

See you from the mech workshop!

2 comments:

Oninotaki said...

Hi, I really love what you have done with your Grymn Army and I was wondering where you get your 1/35 Votoms kits from. Also have you ever thought about using Dust Tactics KV47 walkers as a medium size walker for your grymn army?

Inso said...

Cheers :)

I bought all of my 1/35 Votoms from Comet Miniatures which has, sadly, closed up shop.

Those KV47 walkers would suit a Grymn force but I have reached the end of my Tunnel Fighters (just a single transport to finish) and already have the walkers for my urban army so it would be unlikely (at the moment) that I would find a place for them.

That said, I do like them and have ideas for a neo-sov style Grymn army so you never know :).

Cheers.